Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I was very close to buying house when I found out it has been underpinned. Would you buy an underpinned house?

I couldn't run away from the deal fast enough. There are all kinds of these kinds of companies out there and they ';fix'; foundations by all kinds of methods. In my experience, very few have any technical training at all, much less the engineering skills necessary to solve these problems.





Many of these ';underpinning'; companies go out of business after a few years when the lawsuits filed by angry homeowners start to pile up. Of course, the ';lifetime warranties'; that they offer are then worth nothing. This is not to say that there are not good companies out there, I only point out that the odds are against you.





I have bought houses that needed all kinds of work, but I have always stayed away from foundation problems.





Good luck with your search for a house.I was very close to buying house when I found out it has been underpinned. Would you buy an underpinned house?
Underpinning is generally done to fix a foundation problem or a sinking foundation. If done properly this will fix the foundation and it should be fine. I would recommend consulting a structural engineer before purchasing the house.I was very close to buying house when I found out it has been underpinned. Would you buy an underpinned house?
Isn't ';Underpinning'; the same as Skirting? or is it blocks under it instead of a cement slab foundation?
Underpinned HOUSE? Ummm that sounds like a trailer to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment